Monday, January 13, 2014

Hometown Food, Tanjong Bungah

Been more then a year since I last posted anything on this blog. So today's blog is inspired by my recent trip back to my hometown Tanjong Bungah, Penang.

People ask me what's famous at Tanjong Bungah....hmmm.....besides TAR college I guess it's the food here. I'm surprise myself that there's many famous food here in the small town which I grew up and many of this food has more then 20 years in history.

We'll start with the Goreng Pisang.....who does not know about Tanjong Bungah Goreng Pisang....located on the way up to Batu Feringgi....this small white van makes the best goreng pisang in Penang. Using the whole banana and also the coating which is more creamy compared to the normal goreng pisang this van is the attraction not only to locals but also tourist visiting Penang. It has been operating for more then 20 years. 

Location: at the roadside after Maybank Tg.Bungah, on the way to Batu Feringgi. Operating on a white van.




Just across the road 30 over years of history of Mee Goreng. This uncle has been selling Mee Goreng for more then 30 years. I grew up with this Mee Goreng so to me this is the best Mee Goreng in Penang. I've tried Bangkok Lane, Mt.Eskine but to me this Mee Goreng is still the best. It uses 5 types of gravy to cook its Mee Goreng n with the eggs covering the noodles.....it's the best.

Location: Chuan Foong Restaurant, to Chee Seng Garden, towards Batu Feringgi AFTER Maybank Tg.Bungah turn left. Business hours 12-5pm I think.

Another more then 30years of food history is non other then Hillside Burger. He started selling when my parents were still dating and I'm now 32years old....just imagine....many would agree that this burger is the best in Penang. The difference is the sautéed onion which is put on the burger. Many travel from as far as Butterworth just to get a burger from this uncle. He'll start selling at around 4-7pm at Jalan Gajah ( the road opposite Penang Chinese Swimmjng Club) before continuing at Hillside from 7-11pm. Beware of long queue....this is a must have everytime I go back to my hometown. Still remember when I'm young he use to tell me how my mom and dad would go buy burger from him at night. Doubt that he still remember me now.....lol.

Location: Hillside, Tanjong Bungah (3 9 as the local known) opposite smile dental.




We also have a few new comers like the chain Indian Restaurant Sri Anandha Bahwan which serves the best tandoori in Tg.Bungah. A variety of Indian cuisine and also located opposite the hotels at Tanjong Bungah, this restaurant is a real hit not only amongst tourist but also locals. 

Location: Jalan Tanjong Bungah, opposite Flamingo Hotel. 



This are a few favorite at Tanjong Bungah. There's also char kueh teow at Hillside which I do not know if it's still in operation and also Tony's Ais Kacang at the food court at Hillside. 

Will update more after I make another food trip back to Penang. Maybe covering areas nearby Tanjong Bungah.

No comments: